A delightful quiche – child friendly, full of flavour and extra nutritious with its sublime filling and great crust. This is ideal to take with you cold to the beach or on a picnic. Or serve warm at home with your favourite salad – either way, you will love it and it’s almost impossible to tell it is vegan and totally cholesterol-free. Enjoy this any time of year – also feel free to vary and change the veggies you use to include other favourites.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING
1 x 349g pack firm silken tofu
¾ ball of my mozzarella (or 1 cup of melting cheese)
1 large leek
1 long zucchini cut into small pieces
1 cup of frozen spinach (thawed)
salt to taste
½ cup my parmesan cheese (¾ of a block)
1/8 cup soya milk
1/8 tsp turmeric
3 Tbsp raw almond flakes
INGREDIENTS FOR THE PASTRY
1 cup wholemeal flour
½ cup quinoa flour
½ cup brown rice flour
½ cup oat flour
½ cup vegan margarine
½ cup coconut oil
4-6 Tbsp cold water
- Fry your zucchini/courgette until a little golden, then throw in the leeks, and stir until transparent. Then set aside.
- Now go and make your pie crust/dough – place all the ingredients except for the water in your food processor, and process until a ball is formed. Now add the water – if it’s too thin, add more flour, or if too thick, a little more water. When a ball has formed, your crust is ready. Remove it and place it in the fridge – cover it first with a dusting of flour, and let it rest for 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Now process the tofu in your food processor, add in the ‘parmesan cheese’, the soya milk and the turmeric, and whizz until very thick but creamy. Then add your spinach and pulse for a few seconds until it’s incorporated into the mix, but don’t over process it, otherwise you will end up with a green thick mush, and you don’t want that.
- Bring your pastry out of the fridge, dust a work surface with flour, and slightly roll out the pastry.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 355ºF (180ºC). Then grease a suitable oven-proof quiche tray (mine was 15cm x 4cm), and place your rolled out pastry in the centre of it. Using clean dry hands, gently knead the pastry down with the palms of your hands, stretching it towards the sides – manipulate it gently, so that you can cover the base and the sides.
- Next lay the mozzarella over the pastry base as best you can, then do the same with the veggies. Now spoon on the tofu, cheese and spinach mix from your processor, and even it out with the back of a large spoon.
- Finally sprinkle on more grated cheese, and garnish with the almonds.
- Place in your preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until it’s all wonderfully golden on top.
- This quiche cuts better the next day. But if you are eating it the same day, allow at least 15-20 minutes before cutting and serving. Enjoy !